On your business website take the time to establish who is your target market. By color choice consideration you can match your website colors to gain a better response. Be aware that colors can have different meanings depending on the culture, the industry and your target market. It’s amazing the way our human brain processes color.
Color is Subliminal – Choose Carefully
Choose your colors appropriately and wisely. Color is subliminal and it can help to establish your brand and your image without even saying a word. Don’t just copy other successful businesses; use the information on the psychological meaning of each color to give your business an individual and unique identity.
Blue is the top choice for 35% of Americans, followed by green (16%), purple (10%) and red (9%).
- Red is a physical color which calls for action to be taken. Its high energy and strength draws attention to itself and demands to be noticed.
- Orange is a color of adventure which inspires and creates enthusiasm. It is optimistic and sociable and suggests affordability.
- Yellow is an illuminating and uplifting color which stimulates our analytical processes and assists with mental clarity.
- Green is associated with nature, health and healing. It balances the emotions and inspires compassion.
- Turquoise balances and recharges the emotions and inspires good communication skills and self-expression.
- Blue is the safest color to use in most applications, implying honesty, trust and dependability.
- Indigo is a powerful and strong color which conveys integrity and sincerity. It is associated with structure and rituals.
- Purple implies wealth, quality, fantasy and creativity. It works well with many other colors.
- Magenta is a practical yet spiritual color. Compassionate and kind, it encourages a balanced outlook based on common sense.
- Pink inspires compassion and nurturing. It is a non-threatening color used most often in feminine businesses.
- Gold is associated with value, luxury and prestige. It reflects wisdom, beauty and generosity.
- Silver is a modern sophisticated color, calming yet uplifting, with a degree of mystery about it.
- Black is the color of power and authority and in excess it can be intimidating and unfriendly.
- White is a blank canvas waiting for creative stimulation. It implies efficiency and simplicity, fairness and order.
- Gray is neutral and conservative but does imply security and reliability. It creates a great background for other colors.
- Brown is a strong, reassuring color that is comforting and reliable. It relates well to businesses that promote down-to-earth and outdoor products and activities.
For more in-depth reading regarding color psychology I would suggest Wikipedia’s Color Psychology.